Every summer, we field a lot of Questions about natural ways to deal with common summer problems. Here are some of our tips:
- Bug Bites can be itchy and annoying. To help with itchiness and irritation associated with bug bites, we recommend using White Flower Oil.
- For toenail fungus, Wan Hua Oil works great!
- One can acquire a burn injury from fireworks and grilling, among other things. To ease the pain and discomfort, we recommend using Ching Wan Hung- a Chinese liniment you rub directly onto the skin.
- For sunburns, we also recommend using Aloe Vera Tree Tree Gel. (We carry it in our clinic, in case you can’t find it anywhere else)
- If you run into any poison oak or poison ivy, Rhus Toxicodendron (or Rhus Tox) is a homeopathic remedy that works well. You can pick this up at most health food stores.
- For swimmer’s ear, ask us about Moxa (Artemisia Vulgaris/ Mugwort). It is an herb that is burned and the smoke is let into the ear canal. Please consult us before using moxa. Our Acupuncturists will be more than happy to show you how!
- Remember to stay hydrated! It is recommended that you drink half of your body weight in fluid ounces every day. (Example: a 150lb. person should be drinking 75 oz. of water daily!) Taking homeopathic cell salts and electrolytes daily will help your body stay hydrated. For the electrolytes, we prefer Electro-mix by Dr. Price, which can be found in our clinic and online (instructions for use are right on the packet). It sounds like a lot, but your body will thank you! Drinking an adequate amount of water will also help prevent things such as heat exhaustion and kidney stones. Here is a video blog about staying hydrated: Staying Hydrated
- A lot of people experience breathing problems in summer as the sun reacts with air pollutants to form smog, which irritates the lungs. Regular acupuncture can boost lung function to improve asthma, allergies, or any other lung-related condition.
- Summer is a time when many people also experience headaches. These could be related to the heat, squinting in the sun, heat exhaustion, or other things. Headaches are among the top 5 things we treat in this clinic using acupuncture and Chinese Herbs.
If you have a question about something that is not covered here, give us a call. We are here to help! (414) 332-8888